COVID-19 UPDATE: Due to Governor Baker's state of emergency declared on March 10, 2020, we are currently only accepting Design Review Applications with a signed extension form. Applications may be submitted by email with a hard copy and check for the application mailed to Environment Department, Room 709, Boston City Hall, 1 City Hall Square, Boston, MA 02201.
The South End Landmark District Commission (SELDC) meets on the first Tuesday of each month to review proposals. Interested in becoming a commissioner? Please see details about nomination in the district's and check the commission information sectionXổ số may mắn hàng tuần at the bottom of this page. If you see an "apply online" button, we have an opening on the commission and you're able to apply for it..)
- To save time and costs, please contact staff early in the planning process to determine project compliance with the .
- Review all instructions and documentation requirements before submitting your application to ensure it is complete. Only complete applications will be added to a public hearing agenda.
- Submit your application well in advance of the fifteen business day deadline in case it is marked incomplete and additional or revised information is needed.
- Staff is not available to review applications for completeness immediately upon submittal.
- Do not begin any work, or buy materials, until after you receive confirmation that your project has been approved.
Originally marshland bisected by a narrow strip of land called The Neck (now Washington Street), the South End consists of historic residential blocks, parks, and main thoroughfares with commercial, industrial, and institutional buildings. After the marsh was filled, development began in 1850 by real estate speculators building fashionable, single-family rowhouses. Restrictions on building size and materials meant residential structures in long uniform rows, resulting in remarkable visual unity throughout the area. After the Financial Panic of 1873, the most wealthy Bostonians moved to the brand new Back Bay, and, by the turn of the century, lodging houses geared towards the working class were almost the only residential structures built. For further historical background, please see the .